[Homeroast] Water retained in the portafilter

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 13:55:30 CST 2010

You can get water on top of the puck for machines that don't have a three
way valve that would relieve the pressure in the portafilter when you stop
and flush the water into the drip tray.

I suspect that you machine doesn't have a three way valve and that's why
your experiencing a wet puck and the "portafilter sneeze" where you get a
mess if you remove the portafilter right after the extraction.

I use a lever with no three way valve, so I get the same thing going on,
just wait a minute to avoid the portafilter sneeze and slowly remove the
portafilter, when you just start to loosen it and relieve the pressure, wait
for the pressure to release before removing all the way.

If the espresso tastes good, there's nothing wrong with a wet puck, esp with
a lever or machine with no three way, but you can help to avoid this by
dosing more or grinding loser.  Worry more about the taste.

Here's a Wet Puck link:
http://www.home-barista.com/tips/wet-pucks-t7341.html

-Chris