[Homeroast] First Annual HB Home Roasting Competition

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sat Jan 16 19:27:12 CST 2010

It seems pretty kooky but I understand the logic, kind of. I mean,
there is no way to receive all that coffee and have it roasted on par
in terms of age. I am not sure this freezing is necessary for
espresso though since it has a wider latitude in terms of rest. I
have blends I really like at 10 days, not 5 or 7. Anyway, gad to see
them taking the lead on this. It's something I would love to do but
time and travels in my current schedule are really onerous. Just
returned from a week in Costa Rica and found some amazing new
coffees, including a spontaneous cross between Geisha and Caturra
that is amazing!

Tom

>**Unless otherwise instructed, Espresso entries will be defrosted so
>that one week non-freezer time will have elapsed from the roasting
>date to the judging date. Judges will determine the best tasting dose
>and grind for each entry. If you want your entry to be handled in a
>different way, please include instructions.**
>7 total days from roast to cup, not counting days frozen if they
>arrive much earlier. Not 7 days after being frozen. Unless you prefer
>a shorter time and state it.  Most blends peak around 7 days
>Ed
>
>On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM, John Mac <johnt.mac at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Ed-
>>  It says that they will freeze and then defrost the roasted coffee?
>>  And the espresso roasts will sit around for a week after being defrosted
>>  before being judged.
>>  What are they thinking over at HB?
>>
>>  Are they trying to ruin the beans?
>>
>>  John in Nor Cal
>>

>>  On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Edward Bourgeois
>><edbourgeois at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  A great opportunity to blend and home roast some SM coffees and have
>>>  them cupped and scored with comments. We can't get together at
>>>  roasting retreats like the Pros. But this competition is very much
>>>  modeled after the annual roast off they have at their retreat.
>>>

>>>http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/first-annual-hb-home-roasting-competition-t13074.html
>>>  --
>>>  Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>>>  Amherst MA.
>>>  http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/

>>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>>  http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820
>>

>--
>Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
>Amherst MA.