[Homeroast] Advice on cleaning MACAP M4 grinder

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 08:37:48 CST 2010

If you are vacuuming and wiping the doser clean,  the stale stuff might be
hiding out in the chute, and under the burrs - you would smell that in the
doser.

About once a month or so, I take the top burrs out and clean out the
inside.  It's not too hard, but you need an allen wrench (metric, but I
forget the size..) to take off the adjusting screw in the back. (assuming
you have the stepless model).  Once that is off, you can unscrew the top
burr carrier, and brush everything out.  When putting the burr carrier back
in, make sure there are no stray grinds in the threads, and make sure you
don;t screw it down past your zero point when putting it back in.

You might also have some gunk under the spokes of the doser - try wiping
with a rag as you move the spokes around to get under there.  Some of the
"dust off" canned compessed gas can be useful for dislodging some of the
gunk down there as well (I use an air compressor),  but be careful as this
will shower powder all over your kitchen. (I've learned the hard way to do
this outside)

As far as the smell not washing out,  soap and water isn't the best a
removing coffee oils,  something like Cafiza is usuallly needed, but this
isn't something you want to soak your doser in.
I don't seem to have too much of a stale smell in my doser, I get it more up
in the burrs.  I also don't roast very dark (typically just into 2nd crack
is as far as I go) so I don't have too much of an issue with oils on the
surface of my beans.

--mike