[Homeroast] Advice on cleaning MACAP M4 grinder

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Fri Jan 15 13:50:38 CST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Angelica M wrote:

> I have had my MACAP M4 one year and I use Grindz about every 2 months (as
> manufacturer recommended b/c I only make one double shot a day). Suddenly I
> have a pretty strong stale coffee smell. It is the worst in the doser area.
> I also vacuum and use a cloth for remaining debris/oils.  I just used Grindz
> last night but to no avail. The burr area got slightly better but not the
> doser. Strange thing is last night I washed the lid only of the doser with
> soap and water and even that piece is still retaining stale coffee smell.
>
> I use Grindz because I want to avoid taking the machine apart until the
> burrs need replacing, which should be many years from now. I am not at all
> mechanically inclined so I would like any advice on anything else people
> think I should be doing to keep that smell out--especially if I don't have
> to take the machine apart. And why would even the lid not wash clean--that
> seems weird.

Sounds like you need something that will dissolve coffee oils. Rice or Grindz may not get it all.
You mentioned a doser? I'd recommend tearing down the machine, brushing out any grinds that may have gotten into hiding places, and then washing any washable parts with hot soapy water, OR if you're feeling adventurous, and don't mind risking washable parts, you might try something stronger - we have a product at work that does an impressive job removing coffee oils that regular soap and water won't touch; Tom carries Urnex TABZ which might do the trick.

It's tricky with a grinder knowing what you can safely wash, though. For coffee brewing equipment, typically these products aren't a problem (except on aluminum parts!) but for grinding equipment, you may need to be a little creative. You especially want to avoid causing any rust, or using any products which will harden rubber or make plastic brittle, etc., etc., etc. Good luck!

-
allon