[Homeroast] Silvia repair options

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Jan 12 08:29:36 CST 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 2:12 AM, Ryan M. Ward wrote:

> Could you imagine what your first pitcher of steamed milk would look like? Hmmmm.... Green milky foam!

Ah, flashbacks of when my 1993 Saturn SL1 with 142,000 miles on it cracked a camshaft bearing surface and leaked oil into the coolant.
I opted to repair the car, and it was one of the best choices I've made - it lasted well over 200,000 miles, and since I also had them replace the rings and bearings, I got my mileage back; it was getting around 29mpg, boosted it up to around 40mpg. The savings in gas paid for the cost of the repairs in short order. And it got better performance too.

I'd imagine the economics of rebuilding an espresso machine are somewhat different from rebuilding an engine, especially if you have someone else doing the work for you. OTOH, the economics of making your own espresso and roasting your own coffee, versus buying premade/roasted, are pretty apparent to us - otherwise we wouldn't be here. Price/performance, you just can't beat it.

So, how much DOES an espresso machine rebuild typically cost, for a single group commercial machine?
Let's say, a Rancilio S24....
-
allon