[Homeroast] Silvia repair options

John Crippen john.crippen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:47:20 CST 2010

Good morning,

I just moved from south of El Paso, TX to Arkansas.  In transit, I left Miss
Silvia out in the back of my car overnight, and it was sub-freezing that
night.  I tried to use her for the first time this morning.  After turning
her on to heat up, I walked out of the room.  A few minutes later I heard
the ground fault indicator throw in the kitchen.  Found water all over the
counter.  After cleaning that up and resetting the GVI, I tried using Miss
Silvia, and water just runs out of the back where it normally drains (may be
running out somewhere else, I have not opened it up yet).  No water comes
out of the screen or out of the steam wand when I tried that.  I suspect
that frozen water in the pipes burst the three-way valve and maybe some
other pipes and stuff.  I fear to look inside.

What's the call on sending Miss Silvia to an authorized Rancilio repair
center (none near Hot Springs, Arkansas that I can find), vs. finding a
local repairman to look her over?  Also, in the future, how can I completely
blow out all the water from Miss Silvia (or her replacement........) so that
this does not happen again on the next part of my road trip north next
month?

Sadly,.

Crippen