[Homeroast] was Espresso advice *HiJacked* now presurized portafilters

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:40:14 CST 2010

My DeLonghi came with a 53mm pressurized filter basket.

The pressurized filters or Portafilters compensate for poor (whirly
blade, false burr, etc) grinders and stale beans by controlling the
flow rate so the grind and tamp aren't critical.

I chopped my portafilter handle and ordered an unpressurized 53mm
Saeco double basket filter (had to gring the portafilter larger to
fit) and upgraded to a ceramic burr hand grinder and then I was able
to stomach my own espresso. Before this I was roasting for Aeropress,
Vac Pot and Filter cone only, after, I found I liked espresso with the
sweet fruits, dark licorice and chocolate flavors. I just never got
that with a pressurized filter.

Now I'm playing with a lever machine and planning another grinder
upgrade. In 2010.

Enjoy the journey.

-Chris