[Homeroast] First Roast Ever

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:20:49 CST 2010

Ryan,

Enjoy the roasting. I think there's a lot to be learned by full manual
methods to start like poppers, heat guns, etc so don't be too quick to
upgrade.

A thermometer or digital thermometer/thermocouple can be really
helpful.  I added a glass hurricane lamp globe and a sieve to catch
the chaff to the top of my hot air popper. A variac can adjust temps,
but you can use an extension cord to drop the voltage if your roasts
are too quick.

I'm using a Behmor now and enjoy it with larger batch size and
programmability for reproducible roasts, but you give up control
during the roast.  I'm glad I started with a popper firat (well really
I started on a perf pizza tray in a convection oven, but smoke chased
me out of the house).

-Chris