[Homeroast] First Roast Ever

John and Emma jehorchik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 13:12:06 CST 2010

Ray gave some good advice Ryan.

When I started home roasting I didn't take notes on the beans in my first
order. I received a Kenyan that I loved but can't remember which one it was.
Since then I have tried some other Kenyans but can't find the same one that
I liked before. I made up a spreadsheet that has every coffee I have every
ordered since. The columns are coffee (so I have name region etc), Roast
Level, Processing Type, and Result (simply OK, Excellent, one of our
favourites, No). Now when I reorder I can cross reference with the coffee
(so I don't reorder something I didn't like), regions (personally
Guatamela's don't work for me), roast level (maybe for one bean or region I
liked it roasted to C+ but not FC+) and Processing Type (A surprise to me
was we prefer Dry Process beans).

Hope this helps you in your new journey. Enjoy.

John H.