[Homeroast] First Roast Ever

Ray pilgrim5 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 10:06:48 CST 2010

For roasting coffee beans I use a bread machine from the good will (used to
mix the beans only no heat) it cost $5.00 and a head gun (from harbor
fright) was $10.00 now a little more.  It will roast a pound of beans easy!
To cool the beans I use a stainless steel bowl with 1/8" (about 100+)holes
drilled in the bottom and set in the top of a 5 gallon plastic pail through
the side of the pail about 5" up from the bottom I hooked a shop vacuum to
it, it will cool the beans in about a minute.  The same shop vacuum I use to
clean up chaff from bread machine and around the area of the roast.  This
method works well and you can see and here the beans roasting so you can
pull them when you reach the point you want in your roast.

AS for the Sumatra beans, I would not buy more than a pound to start until
you know for sure you like them?  To me they have a musty basement taste
some call earthy I call yuck-key.  You may love them that's what makes the
world go around we all like different things.

PS: keep notes of what you like an dislike or you will be roasting the same
beans you hate again...........