[Homeroast] was Espresso advice *HiJacked* now presurized portafilters

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 09:53:02 CST 2010

Michael,

One of my previous machines was a Saeco,  which came with the pressurized
portafilter, which at the time, had a valve that you could open or close by
moving the handle left or right.  It could make crema from whatever I put in
there,  old beans, sawdust, cat litter..etc..

At the time I wasn't yet roasting,  but was using relatively fresh beans
from a mail-order roaster.  I would always get somewhat thin tasting shots
using the pressurized device,  and got a good amount of improvement when I
ordered the non-pressurized one.

At the time I believed that good crema was the key to good espresso, and
struggling to get good crema on my shots (as opposed to the sandy colored
crema that evaporated quickly from the pressurized thingy)  was what
eventually led me to roasting at home.

--mike