[Homeroast] was Espresso advice *HiJacked* now presurized portafilters

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Fri Jan 8 23:09:40 CST 2010

Okay, after Sandra's comments about pressurized portafilters on Estro/Saeco machines i had to do some research and this is what i found: http://www.partsguru.com/SaecoRioProfi.html  I had no idea that i had been using a "pressurized portafilter" this whole time.  I emailed the contact of this website (before i knew of this page) and redirected me to the page i just linked.  It suggested not tamping at all!  I thought, ridiculous!  So i tried it, and had surprising results.  I need to play with it some more but it's 11pm and i don't need to pull anymore shots.  I have to be at work at 8am.

Anyone else have any experience with pressurized portafilters?  He didn't have an owners manual for my exact machine.  I have an estro model 410, SIN 007.  But the link to the "226552008 Portafilter diagram Starbucks model
                  Via Venezia" diagram matches my portafilter exactly.  Now i'm all shook up, thinking i've been pulling shots WAY WRONG (at least as how this machine was intended) the whole time i've had this machine [over a year].  And by the way, i'd been able to pull what i've thought were decent shots my way (dosing, knocking, tamp, knock, tamp, sometimes a third knock and tamp).

Michael B