[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Fri Jan 8 16:25:39 CST 2010

I would recommend--if you had to choose between one and the other--springing for a great grinder if you can afford it, rather than a Silvia or even a heat-exchanger machine right now.  The grinder will make a bigger difference in the quality of your shots.  What advantage the Silvia gave me over the Crapesso Ultima was greater steaming capacity, control over tamp and dosage, and ability to keep my machine squeaky-clean. Going up to a heat exchanger machine (as I later did with first a Pasquini Livia 90A and then, after it irreparably broke, a La Cora--a rebadged tricked out Andreja Premium) buys you an easier and more reliably repeatable espresso and steaming experience while still maintaining full control:  much less temp-surfing, and limitless steam and hot water capacity (and a separate wand for the latter).  I seriously doubt I will move up to a dual boiler machine, and I know I have all the grinder I need in my Mazzer Mini. But I suspect that if you sink the bucks into a Silvia first and make espresso and milk drinks for more than one or two people, you will soon tire of having to ride herd on temp and steam supply and be inclined to upgrade yet again. If you pop for a Rocky (or better yet, a Mazzer or other sturdy stepless grinder), you will probably stick with your grinder.   I also have to agree that when the Silvia was $400 it was a pretty good deal compared to a heat exchanger--but the newest Silvias are going for $600-700 (and at least $150-200 more if you want PID controls installed).  For that money, you are close to heat exchanger territory; in fact, gently used Nuova Simonelli Oscars can be found for that price (their only downside is no hot water dispensing--you have to steam a cup or pitcher of water you've drawn separately), and lower-end Expobars also under a grand.

Moreover, the best grinders are built like tanks and usually the only repairs you'll ever need will be new burrs.  However, machines have all kinds of infuriating and perplexing ways to go blooey.