[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:12:03 CST 2010

Ok, let me further reiterate my point. If Mark had posted that he had a Cuisinart grinder (feel free to read my review on the Cuisinart grinder), I would agree completely with everyone here that upgrading an espresso machine would not be followed with a better shot. I agree that uniformity in particle size is one of the most important factors in shot quality. My point is that the infinity is already a descent grinder. It is NOT a crummy grinder. Do I think it is the Roles Royce of grinders? Heck no! But I would consider it the Toyota Camary. (Its certainly not a Ford!).
Looking at the specs of the machine he currently has, I feel that upgrading the machine NOW would yield a greater advance in product NOW given his particular budgetary parameters, while shopping around for a grinder later will yield an even better product later.
If he posted that all he had was a blade grinder, I would be saying "do not upgrade the machine until you get a grinder."
I will say, that a previous poster did have sound advice in recommending that you hold off until you can afford a slightly better machine. The price of the Silvia has gone up, this is true, many higher end models have remained fixed in price(relatively). I still stand by the advice, however, that the Silvia is a good investment .

To summarize, good product in to crummy machine, crummy product out, is still crummy product.

"In an effort to prove to myself how bad espresso shots really are, I took a
leap from a comical-burred Solis Maestro Plus to a big Mazzer grinder.
Neither one had a doser and for the life of me, why in the Blue Blazes would
I want to do that to the coffee, anyway? -ro"

What is your point here, I have missed it?

Ryan M. Ward

*Note: This email was sent from a computer running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
http://www.ubuntu.com