[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 09:52:52 CST 2010

Mark,

My two cents on the matter (as someone who has owned both a Silvia and a
Rocky, and since upgraded..).  I'd recommend getting the grinder now, and
learning a bit more about whether you want to go further down the espresso
path before you jump into a new espresso machine.

The Silvia is certainly a decent machine, and I enjoyed it for many years,
but in the last few years has gotten fairly expensive for what it is. For a
few hundred dollars more, you can get a machine with much greater
temperature stability (both between shots and during the shot).  Truly good
shots are somewhat random and take a bit of fussing to achieve.

If you can get a used Silvia in good shape, that might be a viable option,
but right now at $600 new I don't see it as a good value when for $400 more
you can get something like a Nuova Simonelli Oscar.

Might be better to wait until you can afford a better machine, rather than
spend $600 now, and $1500 a few years later (like I did..)

If you plan to use the grinder for espresso,  I'd recommend getting the
doser model, though I know others on the list will vehemently disagree with
me.  The clumps I used to get with my doserless Rocky were frustrating to no
end, and required a lot of manipulation to alleviate.  Dosers do a wonderful
job of breaking up the clumps, at the expense of some difficulty with
cleaning.

--mike