[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 8 08:55:05 CST 2010

Looking back on my experiences, I recommend starting with a better
grinder.  When I got my grinder I was focused on getting a better
espresso machine but I ran across a non-working Mazzer Royal at a used
restaurant supply store for $40.00 and I bought it as a fix-it
project.  It turned out that it only had a broken power cord.  The
burrs were a little dull and I went ahead and ordered new burrs for
abut $60.00.  I ended up paying only about $100.00 for a machine that
costs almost $1,500 new. It works perfectly and outside of turning to
home roasting and finding SweetMarias as a source of coffee, getting
the Mazzer Royal improved the quality of my coffee more than anything
else.  I do not regret putting close to $1,500 into an espresso
machine but I'd say that the quality espresso machine  improved the
quality of my drink only about half as much as getting and fixing the
Mazzer.