[Homeroast] Espresso advice

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Fri Jan 8 08:01:53 CST 2010

I've got the itch for an upgrade myself.  I was given an estro machine with the understanding, "if i could clean it and get it to work, it was mine."  produces decent espresso.  I also recently got a Krups XP2070 espresso and coffee maker, free, under the same circumstances from a girl i work with.  It's terrible.  I'm thinking of Ebaying the Krups and using that money to go towards a Gaggia?

As far as grinders, i'll say this; i went from a cuisinart grinder (pretty cheap from target) to a virtuoso in my early playings with the Estro, under the recommendations from the list.  The virtuoso is not an espresso specific grinder, but it does have little conveniences that make it very espresso friendly, like the pulse button so you can hold your portafilter directly under the chute.  Long story short, i was BLOWN AWAY at the difference the grinder made.  So my next move is to upgrade the espresso machine again, then upgrade the grinder.  Maybe a Super Jolly.  I've seen some great prices on Ebay for such things.  Or i might play it safe, wait for tax refunds to buy something new from SM.  So don't underestimate what upgrading the grinder will do.

Michael B