[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:19:52 CST 2010

I want to emphasize by the way, my comments regarding the grinder should be taken as from someone who does not have a Rocky but does have an infinity and uses it with a Silvia. I am sure the Rocky is a good grinder (I know several people who own and swear by them). My perspective is that if you have to choose one or the other, go with the espresso machine, the infinity is good enough to produce a good shot with the Silvia.

Based on the following I pulled from wholelattelove.com:

"The ESP6SXL Café Modena Espresso Machine brings precision and care to
the home brewing experience. With a Thermoblock heating system and 15
bars of pressure, this Breville model creates the perfect environment
for espresso extraction. Thanks to the Dual Wall Crema System, brewing
a café-quality shot is fast and simple. The ESP6SXL Café Modena also
delivers continuous steam to accommodate latte and cappuccino drinkers."

This machine sounds a lot like my old machine, I am sceptical that upgrading your grinder is going to improve espresso quality by much, further- the pressure in the steam wand of the Silvia really makes a difference in foam structure(I am of the school of thought that a quality milk/espresso drink is equally dependant on foam and espresso shot quality, afterall, what is a cappucino with crappy foam).

So in summary (after my long winded explaination), I did not mean suggest that the Rocky is a bad buy, I simply think that all things considered, the ratio of marginal benefit to marginal cost of the Silvia is greater than the same ratio for the rocky considering what you already have on your counter top- especially since you can always upgrade one or the other later on.

Ryan M. Ward

*Note: This email was sent from a computer running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
http://www.ubuntu.com