[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:06:06 CST 2010

Hi Mark,
I have a Rancilio Silvia and a Capresso Infinity myself. I am not familiar with the machine you currently have (it looks to be constructed on par with my old Cuisinart machine, just by looking on Amazon).

Feel free to read a review I wrote for the Silvia here (This link points to all of my reviews on Amazon, the Silvia review should be the first one):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2N471I8E0FQ7M/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

I can tell you that the Silvia is a great machine, particularly if you prefer manual machines. The pressure build up is excellent and sufficient to pull a good shot and to froth milk in a more timely manner (compared to lower end models). The espresso quality is good but as with most machines, getting the right grind can be a challenge (on the inifinity, I set the hopper dial to between fine and extra fine I think, leaning more toward fine). The silvia is a single boiler machine, but it sounds like that is what you already have and are content with.
As I have alluded to, the Silvia is constructed with simplicity in mind, the steam wand does not have any attachments designed to make frothing easier (I consider this a strength, I have yet to use a weird froth wand attachment thing and have any real success).
So in summary, if you don't mind a single boiler machine and don't mind a manual machine, I think you will be very happy with the Silvia and STRONGLY recommend it.

Now for the Capresso Infinity vs. Rancilio Rocky. I do not own a Rocky and thus cannot give you an honest recommendation on this issue. I will say that I am very happy with my infinity and do not consider upgrading a top priority. One thing though that really is lacking in the inifinty which is an optional upgrade in the rocky is a doser. Again, not a huge priority for me but it would be nice and would bring back fond memories of working in an actual coffee shop.

The major thing that drew me to the infinity (besides the cost savings), is the fact that the infinity is a conical burr grinder, the infinity has a lower RPM rating which means less heat distributed across the grounds(I am not certain exactly how much of a difference this make but this was my thinking at the time), the rocky is a disc burr grinder.
The thing that ultimately made up my mind regarding not buying the rocky was the fact that I read several reviews which complained about the consistancy of the grind with a Rocky. I cannot comment on this from personal experience, but

I do intend to "upgrade" to a better grinder some day, the rocky is not the number one on my list but I certainly have not dismissed it from my considerations. Personally, if I was in your position, I would (after some shopping around and research) buy the Silvia for sure, you can't beat a quality machine. You already have a decent grinder, I am sure there are better ones but personally, I do not think getting a new one is absolutely critical, use the Silvia to justify a new grinder later(if you need to). Of course if you can afford it, why not get one.

Ryan M. Ward

*Note: This email was sent from a computer running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
http://www.ubuntu.com