[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Steven Van Dyke coffee at svandyke.com
Thu Jan 7 19:59:53 CST 2010

Ease your way into it - get a MyPressi Twist to
use with the grinder you have.  Then the only
thing you might need to add is a hot water pot.

I also don't do much espresso so I'm happy with the Twist.

Here are the tips I've picked up from the HomeBarista forum:

1) - something I actually figured out.   Some N2O
cartridges are shorter than others.  Check the
length and if it's shorter than the ones that
come with the Twist use something to pad it to
length.  A bit of  double-stick foam  tape with
some paper over it (so it won't stick to the end
cap) should work.  Right now I'm using a folded
bit of paper.  Without it you'll lose pressure and waste cartridges.

2) Take the basket out and re-assemble the
unit.  Fill with fresh boiled water, put on the
cap and let it warm up while you measure and
grind your coffee (at least a minute).  Dump the
water in the water chamber into your cup to
pre-warm it.  Refill the chamber with freshly
boiled water (your hot pot should get back to
boiling very quickly).  Let that warm it for 30
seconds while you load and tamp the basket.  Put
the basket in, reboil the water and refill the
chamber with freshly boiled water.  Dump your cup
pre-heat and pull the shot.  Naked shots are dead
easy - you just remove the bottom part of the
unit that serves as a catcher / splitter.  Note:
it's best if your cup is a little wider than the
bottom of the filter so you can contain sprays if your tamp is off.

It seems like a pain for temp control but it's
really less of a bother than some of the
temperature surfing regimes I've heard.

If you enjoy the Twist and find you're having
enough espresso to justify it, *then* you can get
the really good machine and keep the Twist for work / travel.

If you find that you don't do espresso that much
then the Twist will probably be all you need and
it doesn't take up much room *or* much bank account. ;)