[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 18:01:39 CST 2010

Mike, I love that motto, I just don't think I can tell that to my Wife and
live.

For most of last year my espresso setup was a DeLonghi BAR140 I found at a
thrift store that I chopped the portafilter on and replace the pressurized
basket paired with a ceramic hand mill coffee grinder.  The espresso machine
was so cheap at the thrift store that I picked up a backup (about $15, I
think).  I was able to pull some very good espresso shots out of this setup
once in a while, but it did require a lot of temperature surfing to achieve
anything worthwhile.

Well, I finally broke down and picked up a better machine, a lever espresso
machine no less, the La Peppina.  It's quite a change and is showing some of
the limitations of my hand grinder, but it's a lot of fun.  I was able to
put together a PID from parts a friend had in his garage for temperature
control.  This luxury was a little hard for my Wife to swallow, however, and
it's going to be a while (and a dishwasher and a TV) before I can think of
upgrading the grinder.

It is indeed a slippery slope.  Could I have lived on with the DeLonghi?
Probably, but it wouldn't be as much fun and even though the economy is in
the dumps, we all need a little fun in our lives to keep from going crazy.

BTW:  If I hadn't gone for the Lever, I was seriously looking at the Lelit
machine and grinder as an upgrade.

-Chris