[Homeroast] Espresso advice

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Thu Jan 7 16:23:46 CST 2010

How much can you afford to spend? I will tell you that the shots you'd pull with a Rocky and your Breville would be vastly better than if you used your Capresso Infinity with a Silvia.  If I were you and could pop for a bit more, I'd search for a Mazzer Mini (I got mine used on eBay) to use with the Breville till you could also afford to upgrade the machine. The Rocky is not necessarily a bigger improvement over the Capresso than the Silvia is over the Breville--the Capresso is a capable grinder for non-espresso coffee--but the grinder always makes a bigger difference than does the espresso machine.  Never cheap out on the grinder.  If you buy the Silvia and learn how to use it, you'll have it for a long time (I keep mine around to take to parties with the Rocky, and to use when my LaCora is in the shop for its annual "spa visit") but then you will inevitably want to upgrade to a heat exchanger or dual boiler machine; OTOH, if you buy a Mazzer you'll probably will it to your descendants.  Then when you get dissatisfied with the Breville (and you will), you can step up to a "prosumer" machine.  (Don't get me wrong--the Rocky is as sophisticated as many home baristas get, but stepped adjustment is not as good as stepless; though the Capresso is stepless, it's relatively flimsy and not built for the long haul).