[Homeroast] espresso roast profiles

Ed Needham beans at homeroaster.com
Sat Jan 2 08:12:20 CST 2010

Crema color can be a result of light roasted beans too.  Or beans that are
dark on the outside, and light on the inside due to a too hot/too fast
roast.
How does the shot look as it's coming out of the portafilter.  Would you
describe it as 'oozing' out?  Dribbling out in spurts?  Pouring out?  If
you've got a machine that can do a decent shot, and a grinder that can do a
fine and even espresso grind, then it's just a matter of finding the right
grind, with a good tamp (to avoid channeling) and adjusting the grind until
you almost choke the machine.  If the crema is still not looking so good, it
may be the water temperature is off a degree or two.  On most consumer
machines, there is no way to fix the water temp problem aside from 'temp
surfing', which is pulling the shot right after the machine heater cycles
and water temp is where you want it.

If I was a betting man, I would bet the poor crema appearance is a
combination of all of the above, and fixing them one by one will bring you
success, and an espresso that will taste great.
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com