[Homeroast] espresso roast profiles

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:14:48 CST 2010

I've been playing mostly around FC/FC+ (just at the very beginning of 2nd
crack).  This has worked well for many beans in the past.  However, with
Treble Response and Waw Bukan Main, I have not had good results, even in
view of Tom's recommendations.  Basically, the crema is very thin and
dissipates fast, even when I get nice tiger striping.  After reading some
comments on Behmor roasting for the Workshop blends, I decided to roast a
bit longer into 2nd crack (about 10-20 seconds).  I have a batch of Workshop
#7 and SO Sumatra that I roasted like that ready to pull for shots
tomorrow.  So I've got my fingers crossed.

I've also played around with P2, P3, and P4 quite a bit.  With P2, I get
more divots.  I've been very happy with P3 and P4, eventhough the time to
1st crack is quite a bit longer (around 13 minutes).

But, I think FC should work for most - maybe work on extending the time
between 1st and 2nd, and aim to end, just before 2nd crack starts.

These are just my personal thoughts/preferences.

Greg