[Homeroast] espresso roast profiles

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Fri Jan 1 16:51:06 CST 2010

Okay, so i know that espresso is a beverage and not a coffee or color.  I've had some great S.O. espressos around City+.  Looking at Tom's Espresso Tip's pages i see that too light of a roast can produce a pale crema which i sometimes also get.  So my question for discussion is, to what degree of roast do you take your for-espresso beans?  I refuse to burn my beans and take them into the black, oily region.  Tried that, not doing it again.  As i said, i've had some decent SO's from City+ all the way to the first couple of pops of the 2nd crack.  But a lot of my espressos DO end up with a pale crema and not that dark brown/amber color i'm seeking.  Thanks!

Michael B
b'ham, AL