[Homeroast] Behmor Calculus

Bruce Garley bsgarley.public at cox.net
Fri Jan 1 13:38:57 CST 2010

Okay, try this. I put this together when I was going through the same
quandries. It may not be absolutely correct, but it'll get you close.

Hard Bean Types: High initial heat followed by moderate. Kenya AA, Guatemala
SHB, almost any coffee grown higher than 5000 feet.

Medium Hard Bean Types: Moderate initial heat followed by moderate. Brazil,
Sumatra, Java and most Latin American coffees grown lower than 5000 feet
(Nicaraguan).

Soft Bean Types: Low to moderate heat for entire process. Hawaiian,
Caribbean and beans grown lower than 3500 feet.

Fresh Crop Coffees: Moderate during first 3-5 minutes, then follow regular
schedule for that bean type.

Profile Matching:
P1: Fast ramp up, stays at full. Hard bean.
P2: Fast ramp up, then backs off. May emulate commercial profile. Hard bean.
Kenya AA, Guatemala SHB, almost any coffee grown higher than 5000 feet.
P3: Fast gradual ramp up to full. Soft bean or low grown (eg Brazilian).
Brazil, Sumatra, Java and most Latin American coffees grown lower than 5000
feet (Nicaraguan).
P4: Medium gradual ramp up to full. Soft bean or expresso blends.
P5: Slowest ramp up to full.  Hawaaian, Jamaican, Island Coffees going to
City/City+. Hawaiian, Caribbean and beans grown lower than 3500 feet.

I think I've put this out before without too severe criticism.

As always, all errors are my own.

Bruce Garley
Plant Whisperer
San Juan Capistrano, CA