[Homeroast] First Annual HB Home Roasting Competition

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Sun Feb 28 16:29:52 CST 2010

Hi Everybody,

I just joined this list and wish I would have known about it sooner, but next year, definitely.

I had been home roasting in my convection oven for the past 18 months and doing it seat of the pants as they say, really only burnt 2 roasts and under roasted maybe 5 or so batches.  The smoke did get overwhelming at times in the Winter, since it can get chilly here in Fort Wayne, IN.  Anyways, I did just get a Behmor and was wondering what's a good way to just start playing.  I can do larger batches at a time, since I will often go through 3 pounds of green beans a week.  I guess what I'm asking, is that should I use each of the Profiles 1-5 and not really make any changes for awhile or should I do it more seat of the pants?  I will be starting an excel file of beans and blends and what I do, but am looking for guidance with using the behmor.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

-- Sent from my Palm Prē
Andy Thomas wrote:

I add my thanks to Jim, Tom, Steve and Bob for judging. Especially to Jim for initiating and seeing it through. My entry didn't do very well, but but I appreciate the feedback and I'm challenged to do better next time!

Andy

From: Mike Chester <mchet at charter.net>

To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for thislist, available at

Well, the results are in [...]