[Homeroast] Costa Rican City roast

Ed Needham beans at homeroaster.com
Sun Feb 28 23:20:10 CST 2010

The fruity acids, among other things, are prominent in lighter roasts.
These include malic acid (think apple), ascorbic acid (citrus), and acetic
acid (vinegar).  The more you roast the beans, the less citrusy, green
grassy, astringent taste you will have.

There is a sweet spot where the degradation of the fruity acids and the
optimum caramelization of the sugars occur, but typically, the tasty
caramel, and sometimes nutty or chocolaty flavors are not seen at the city
roast stage.

If you like bright, tart flavors, roast lighter.  If you like the more
mellow, sweeter, caramel/nutty/chocolate flavors, roast a bit darker.  Think
balance.  A dark roast past second crack will degrade the fruity acids to
almost nothing as well as turning caramel to carbon. The roasty flavors then
take over and completely  destroy the varietal flavors.

Finding that sweet spot is the magic of roasting for me.  I like a lively
cup with some of the fruity acids and clean finishing flavors, but I also
really like to balance that with the slurpy caramels and nutty chocolates of
a near second crack or beginning second crack roast.

Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com