[Homeroast] First Annual HB Home Roasting Competition

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:48:45 CST 2010

Great comment Tom, Something I've been mulling over today. The goal
being a roasting exercise that is best for us to learn from and be
able to share results from afar. As many thought the event was not
broad enough with bean selection I now also feel it was not nearly
narrow enough. Something like one bean like the El Salv. Matalapa
makes a lot of sense.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee
<sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com> wrote:
> I have to run , but one of the difficult things here was the selection of
> the coffee - at Roasters Guild we had a very interesting roast competition
> where everyone used the same coffee, El Salv. Matalapa. That meant roast
> technique and then the roast persons selection of which batch to enter was
> really key, and the green coffee itself was secondary. This was a bit hard
> because the selection of greens with so much character! naturals, etc...
>
>> Congratulations to all who entered!
>>
>> Thanks Tom! A video of the brewed division can be sen here.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAuZ_sPieXo&feature=player_embedded
>> I can't tell which coffee is mine, though.
>>
>> I'm crazy delighted, over the top happy with my results, but more
>> important
>> than the ranking will be tasting my coffee with the judge's notes in front
>> of me. I mean really, I have notes from Tom Owen, Jim Schulman and other
>> luminaries in the biz. What's cooler than that?
>>
>> Jim has indicated it will take place again next year, and I hope we have
>> more participants. A larger Sweet Maria's contingent would be great.
>>
>> John
>
> --
> -Tom

> Roasting