[Homeroast] First Annual HB Home Roasting Competition

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sun Feb 28 12:38:04 CST 2010

I have to run , but one of the difficult things here was the
selection of the coffee - at Roasters Guild we had a very interesting
roast competition where everyone used the same coffee, El Salv.
Matalapa. That meant roast technique and then the roast persons
selection of which batch to enter was really key, and the green
coffee itself was secondary. This was a bit hard because the
selection of greens with so much character! naturals, etc...

>Congratulations to all who entered!
>
>Thanks Tom! A video of the brewed division can be sen here.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAuZ_sPieXo&feature=player_embedded
>I can't tell which coffee is mine, though.
>
>I'm crazy delighted, over the top happy with my results, but more important
>than the ranking will be tasting my coffee with the judge's notes in front
>of me. I mean really, I have notes from Tom Owen, Jim Schulman and other
>luminaries in the biz. What's cooler than that?
>
>Jim has indicated it will take place again next year, and I hope we have
>more participants. A larger Sweet Maria's contingent would be great.
>
>John

-Tom