[Homeroast] First Annual HB Home Roasting Competition

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Sun Feb 28 11:15:44 CST 2010

Well, the results are in and I am surprised that this is the first post
about the competition.  As far as I know, the winners in each category are
not members of this list, but John Despres, who is a member got special
recognition for finishing in the top five in both categories - fourth in
brewed and fifth in espresso.  Congrats John!!  I did not make the cut in
espresso and finished seventh in brewed with my SO of the Hue Hue.  The
final tasting of the brewed coffees were  conducted by Tom and his crew.  I
want to thank them as well as Jim Schulman for setting this up.  Jim has
indicated that he plans to make this an annual competition which benefits us
all.  There are some interesting and useful comments listed on Home Barista
concerning the entries.  You can follow the link that Ed posted below.
There are also individual threads about the results.  I would like to see
more people from this list enter next year.  One of the comments that Jim
made that I found to be heartening was that most of the entries, even those
not making the finals, could be proudly served in any coffee shop.  That
says a lot about our ability to use mostly amateur equipment to produce
professional results.

Mike Chester