J.W.Bullfrog j.w.bullfrog at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 12:28:56 CST 2010

I PID'ed and then did a full PC control of a mod'ed P1 with a TC in the bean
mass. You just have to get the probe to a 'representative' location. Getting
a 'representative ' local is a bit like bear hunting. Sometimes you get the
bear; sometines the bear gets you.

However, it doesn't even really matter if the temp that you are getting is
bean temp, as long as ists repeatable. That way whne you get 425, you can
translate that to what it means toi your roast. Also the thinking was back
then ( don't know if its changed) was that the delta T over time was a
critical factor. I.E bean mass chenging temperature 15 degrees in a minute
based upon bean color / roast stage.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Mike Davis <mldavis2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It would appear that each roaster and each bean should be evaluated
> individually.  Obviously some beans just don't look the same at allegedly
> the same roast level.  Many beans can appear to be at different roast levels
> in the same batch.  Immature beans come out lighter than mature beans, for
> example, and dry processed beans are also subject to variations in
> appearance.
>
> I'm not completely sold on using temperature because there can be too many
> variables with that as well.  Commercial roasters are more suitable for
> temperature measurement because of larger batches and longer roasting times
> combined with more uniform placement of temperature probes.  Home roasters
> have accuracy issues with probe placement since temperature probes are not
> often included within the roasting container itself due to the methods of
> agitation required (i.e. turning drums, air flow blowers, etc.)  In
> addition, anyone who cooks knows that you can achieve a thoroughly cooked
> item with either a long, slow low heat method (crock pot, simmering) or
> higher heat (broiling, searing).
>
> So a final roast temperature of, say 450F, might result in the same level
> on a commercial gas-fired roaster day in and day out, but it probably has no
> direct correlation to a FreshRoast, iRoast2, Behmor, Gene, Hottop or your
> backyard grille.
>
> In my limited experience, I rely on a combination of sound, time,
> appearance and relative temperature readings from a fixed probe.  Tom's bean
> chart is my best baseline for comparison until I can find someone to really
> teach me how to do it 'by the numbers.'  In the meantime, I'm creating my
> own pig-trail down the jungle path to coffee nirvana with occasional
> sideways glances in the bushes for snakes.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.