miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Tue Feb 23 17:53:57 CST 2010

I'll respectfully agree to disagree. Many have used bean mass temperature
monitoring quite successfully (i.e. repeatable) for many years on small home
roasting appliances combined with methods of controlling the roaster making
extremely controllable and repeatable and variable profile roasting
possible. Jim Schulman took his Fresh Roast so far as to PID control it via
thermocouple in bean mass. Mike (just plain) did likewise with P1. Actually
Jim went even further and monitored both bean mass and environment temps
feeding the info to the PID in his FR. I stuck with bimetal thermometer bean
mass monitoring with Caffe' Rosto roasting and manual dual variable voltage
control for heat and air flow. Know of some who've added bean mass and real
environment monitoring to their HotTops including going PID roast control
route. My Computer Controlled Hottop (now pretty much used only for sample
roasting and some profile development) has both bean mass and environment TC
monitoring.

Accurately monitoring temperatures does not replace smell, sound and sight
of roast (in that order) but does greatly enhance consistency and
repeatability and predictability.

Now we can add pigs and snakes to augment civets and jacu birds:-)

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/