[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

Jim Couch ravskau at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:29:59 CST 2010

Seems like the Kenyans that I roast, whether I stop at first sounds of 1st
crack, rolling 1st, or untill all 1st crack snaps subside but before 2nd
starts all come out looking the same degree of darkness it's the chaff still
stuck in the middle rift or not and how flat that whole surface is....The
1st iRoast2 I had could make ANYTHING look cinder coal black if I even let
it give out one pop I The replacement iRoast is a great roaster. have been
wondering if the Poofts I have heard in my Behmor were some kind of crack
they come about 1-2 minutes before what is actually 1st crack and there are
only 1 or 2 of them what I am pretty certain is first crack actually sounds
like popcorn popping. After that subsides if I wait usually somewhere from
30seconds to a minute depending on profile I can hear a crinkling sound
which I have been calling second.....
Jim

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM, John A C Despres <johndespres at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here are some questions that I'm wondering about.
>
> What do you label your degree of roast? How do you know? When do they
> occur?
>

> There are several different lists of when a certain degree of roast is
> reached and they don’t match.
>
> Sweet Maria’s list is as follows also with pictures as reference:
> City + roast at 435°F, about 25 seconds after end of 1st crack
> Full City roast at 444°F about 25 seconds after 1st ends
> Full City + at 454°F about 1:50 after 1st ends
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
>

> The HRO List has these divisions without temperatures but pictures as
> reference.
> Cinnamon roast just after 1st crack
> New England Roast
> American Roast
> City Roast
> Full City Roast just after 2nd crack
> http://www.homeroasters.org/index.htm
>

> Kenneth Davids has this list in his book Home Coffee Roasting
> Cinnamon roast below 400°F
> New England at 400°F
> American at 400-415°F
> City at 415-435°F
> Full City at435-445°F
>
> And also from Sweet Maria’s, this list at the bottom of the page
> George Steinert's Degree of Roast/Temperature chart:
>
> Early yellow at 327°F
> 1st Crack Begins at 401°F
> 1st Crack Under Way at 415°F
> City Roast at 426°F
> City+ at 435 °F
> Full City    446    °F
> Full City+    454    °F
> Vienna (Light French)    465    °F
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
>

> Here’s yet another site with variances: (This one is interesting with lots
> of nice, seemingly accurate descriptions)
>
> http://www.cofei.com/categories/degree-of-roast-temperature-description.html
>

> My concern is communication amongst us home coffee roasters. My Full City +
> may be your Full City. Yet your Full City may come after 2nd crack and my
> Full City is before 2nd is remotely near.
>
> Which labeling system do you use? Is there yet another guide you go by? How
> can we better communicate our roast degree to one another?
>
> Some of us are able to determine bean temperature while others know the
> drum
> temperature only. Stating the temperature of when your roast ended is of
> great importance to some while it means nothing to me as there’s no way for
> me to know.
>
> All of this occurred to me this afternoon while chatting with the owner of
> USRC. He knows as much as possible about his roasts, while I know exhaust
> temperature and time. Of course, these are both usable factors; I can base
> roasts on the information and then measure the bean temperature with an IR
> thermometer immediately upon pulling the drum. That could be great post
> roast information like recording the weight loss; there’s no way I can know
> it before the roast ends in my Gene Café.

> [...]

"Idiots are so much fun! Thats why every village either has one or wants
one!"
G. House MD.