[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sun Feb 21 22:19:15 CST 2010

Degree of roast is the never ending project. I wanted to take new
pictures for the chart, now that I have better gear, and some ideas
to correlate single bean macro images, groups of beans, and ground
coffee with the SCAA discs. I have an agtron too, an older unit, and
actually have never fired it up! (Found it used...) But that would be
great for reference. It's "Project 8342.6" on my list. But an
important one nonetheless.

Tom

>Right on, Ivan. I agree the Sweet Maria's chart is by far the best one out
>there. It's confusing at times, though. Another marker I use is when the
>beans yellow, which is right about 225-230 degrees. The time at which they
>yellow gives me an indication of how fast or slow my roast is progressing.
>
>John
>
>On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM, sci <scizen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  There seems to be lots of semantic confusion even among the elite
>>  roasters.I
>>  noticed this as soon as I got into roasting. It is kinda like a debate
>>  about
>>  when a tomato is ripe.
>>
>>  Sweet Maria's paradigm is best for homeroasters simply because SM is the de
>>  facto standard in the home roasting world. Most of us on this list are not
>>  professional roasters. As for temperatures, we all know how hard it is to
>>  get precise measurements of the actual bean temperature. I take relative
>>  measurements of my machines and use them as guidelines. I have found that
>>  cracks are my best main guide. Since I rarely roast beyond the beginning
>>  stages of 2nd crack, I just wait for 1st crack and then use time, smell,
>>  color, and relative temp. from there. Do I get rigorously consistent
>>  roasts?
>>  No.
>>  As a homeroaster I relish and enjoy the slight variations in roasts. I
>>  don't
>>  have to have precise consistency between roasts because I don't have
>>  customers who want extreme consistency. Consistency can get boring in
>>  things
>>  that are supposed to be fun. Ditto for my espresso shots.
>>
>>  Ivan

>>  Homeroast community pictures -upload yours!) :
>>  http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7820

-Tom