[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:36:38 CST 2010

There seems to be lots of semantic confusion even among the elite roasters.I
noticed this as soon as I got into roasting. It is kinda like a debate about
when a tomato is ripe.

Sweet Maria's paradigm is best for homeroasters simply because SM is the de
facto standard in the home roasting world. Most of us on this list are not
professional roasters. As for temperatures, we all know how hard it is to
get precise measurements of the actual bean temperature. I take relative
measurements of my machines and use them as guidelines. I have found that
cracks are my best main guide. Since I rarely roast beyond the beginning
stages of 2nd crack, I just wait for 1st crack and then use time, smell,
color, and relative temp. from there. Do I get rigorously consistent roasts?
No.
As a homeroaster I relish and enjoy the slight variations in roasts. I don't
have to have precise consistency between roasts because I don't have
customers who want extreme consistency. Consistency can get boring in things
that are supposed to be fun. Ditto for my espresso shots.

Ivan