[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

John A C Despres johndespres at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 22:45:25 CST 2010

Well, this turn of discussion is exactly why I started this thread. And I
think it proves my point; What do we call our roasts?

>From a light Cinnamon roast to a much darker Full City + roast may be
considered a huge leap to a dark roast. And for the times Mr. Peet was
roasting, it probably was a huge leap. It appears Alfred Peet simply roasted
darker than what Americans may have been used to, therefore he roasted
*dark* coffee. By today's standards, using Starbuck's dark roast as the
yardstick to compare to another time in history, is revisionist history. So
Mr. Peet didn't roast as dark as Starbucks currently does, but by the
standards of the day, way back then, he was roasting a dark coffee but not
necessarily burnt coffee.

John