[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

Joel Gomberg jgomberg at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 20 19:24:38 CST 2010

On 02/20/2010 04:41 PM, Ed Needham wrote:
> Correction, he was (and is) a world coffee man.  There is no one on the
> planet with a more comprehensive knowledge of the history of coffee than
> Don Schoenholt. Anyone in the coffee trade will back me up on that. I've
> sat at his feet and heard more than my mind can fathom about beans,
> countries, farms, trade, roasts, and more. Alfred Peet and Don
> Schoenholt were friends. Don was well aware of the roasts coming out of
> Peets roasters.
>
> There's not a reference anywhere I could find referring to Peet as an
> advocate for light roast. He was Dutch, and his coffee was a much darker
> roast than America was used to, which was not a burnt roast but a rich,
> full roast to maximize the caramels, the chocolate undertones and the
> nuttiness of a full roast. Most coffee Americans were used to was a
> cinnamon light roast, and had little of the deep roasty flavors I
> personally enjoy.

I agree.  I started drinking Peet's coffee in the early 1970's.  The Indonesian
blends like Garuda, and Major Dickason's, were always dark, shiny, and oily.
Peet's explanation for roasting so dark was that he had to compensate for all
the milk Americans put into their coffee.  Otherwise, he said, they wouldn't be
able to taste the coffee at all.

--
Joel