[Homeroast] City? City +? Full City?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 17:24:20 CST 2010

I use the Sweet Maria's Degrees of Roast chart as a guide and navigate
mostly by the cracks ending my roasts between city to full city+ (with one
or two Vienna or French exceptions).  I made some notes on the chart and
saved it as my background... this is what it looks like.

http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/yakster/?action=view&current=DegreeofRoasts.jpg

City -- First Crack Ends
City +
Full City
Full City + -- Second Crack Starts
Vienna
French -- Second crack near end

The temperatures that you measure are going to differ by roaster and even
the bean colors will differ by method (drum, air, radiant, etc.) so it can
be hard to cross-compare.  Today I saw the Sivetz chart that describes the
degree of roast related to the % change in weight which will probably only
further confuse the issue:
http://www.sivetzcoffee.com/images/roastdegree1.jpg, but I'm sticking with
the Sweet Maria's definitions mainly because I saw them first and there's
more background information in the Sweet Maria's library to make a
consistent chart out of.

-Chris