[Homeroast] Happy President's Day

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:57:35 CST 2010

The port and roasted fig sauce sounds interesting.

For the Lamb, I used a dry rub I already had prepared (Wild Willy's Number
One-derful Rub from the Smoke and Spice cookbook by Cheryl and Bill Jamison)
plus some fresh minced garlic, hickory salt, chopped fresh rosemary from the
garden, and a splash of the 1998 Bonny Doon Charbera red wine put into the
oven at 400 degrees as per the instructions on the package until the probe
read 140 degrees and then let the lamb rest covered with foil to allow the
internal temperature to continue to rise for 15 to 20 minutes.  The lamb was
nice and tender and is making wonderful leftovers (packed some for lunch
today).

I wanted to make my favorite sauce to go with this, West Coast Wonder sauce,
also from Smoke and Spice, but didn't have time to do this until last
night.  I also was going to make some garlic scones from scratch but this
was ditched at the last minute as well due to time pressures.  Despite
everything not going to plan (and pulling out the PID box to make espresso
which I'd forgotten about in the middle of it all was a panic) it all turned
out well.  I much enjoyed making a nice meal to enjoy at home rather then
going out and fighting the crowds.

The Wife prepared the box mix of couscous with pine nuts and steamed the
asparagus in the microwave.

Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill
Jamison
3/4 Cup paprika
1/4 Cup freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Cup coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
1/4 Cup sugar (I probably substituted Splenda)
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne

Mix ingredients and store in a cool, dark pantry for use as needed.

West Coast Wonder Sauce from Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison (great
for duck, lamb, fish, seafood)
1 Cup hoisin sauce
1/2 Cup rice vinegar
1/4 Cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 tsp ground anise
2 garlic cloves, minced

Heat on low for about 10 minutes, keeps refrigerated for several weeks.

-Chris