[Homeroast] Taste not the same

Kathleen Tinkel ktinkel at broadlyspeaking.com
Mon Feb 15 14:59:33 CST 2010

Dennis --

I also have the Krups Power Brew, and found that I had to tinker with
the grounds and water ratios to get the coffee to taste good. Now I
find I prefer the Krups coffee to that from the TV. I use paper
filters, have been on a Yirgacheffe binge for a while, and drink
coffee unsweetened and black.

Taste is elusive and difficult to quantify, and you and I have quite
different setups, but this is what I did to get coffee that I liked
out of the Krups:

Try grinding finer. The Krups manual says the brewer is designed for
the grind usually found in pre-ground canned coffees, but that was
definitely too coarse for me.

Use filtered water instead of the Krups filter. I draw water from the
door of the fridge.

Turn the brewer off as soon as it is done. In my case, making 4
(Krups) cups at a time, I turn the machine off at 4.5 minutes. (I use
a kitchen timer as a reminder.)

Measure everything (coffee at specific grinds, water, timing) and try
adjusting one factor at a time. If possible, make the same coffee on
your old equipment and the Krups and have a taste-off and compare the
results. Try to describe the differences you find -- "not the same"
is insufficiently descriptive.

My favorite benchmark is a Chemex pour-over coffee maker.

Good luck. Do let us know how it goes.

-- Kathleen