[Homeroast] I did it.

Jeffrey jeffrey-kelly at att.net
Thu Feb 11 20:12:28 CST 2010

I will try your technique of watching for a temperature rise at the end of
1C.  Thanks for sharing.  I can hear 1C best if I kneel about 2 feet in
front of my Gene Cafe with my ears at the level of the roaster.  It seems
that the sound of the motor and fan go over my head a bit.

I can sometimes hear 1C very well but not always, seems to be bean specific.
One thing I've noticed is that if I go into 1C at max setting of 482 deg F
there is a much more pronounced crack vs. when I crack with 462 deg F on the
dial.  The last batch of SM I roasted, an Ethiopian, lost chaff right at 1C
but with a recent El Salvador roast the chaff was in full frenzy several
minutes before 1C.  So I guess the chaff will depend on the bean and
processing.