[Homeroast] Fourth Wave!? :-D

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Feb 10 18:46:27 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 02:39:05PM -0700, David T wrote:

> As much as I dislike Salon: http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2010/02/09/fourth_wave_coffee_slayer/index.html
> Interesting article anyway.

Most accurate part of the article: "[I have] no clue what most of that
means, ..."

So, okay, I'm not a member of the Espresso Congregation, but even I
know that originally, the barista could, and surely did, "manipulate the
pressure under which the coffee is extracted in mid-shot" because the
pressurization was provided by them pulling on that lever.  But I guess
this is of a piece with the rest of the story here: if you forget
everything more than fifty years old then reinventing the wheel will
seem amazing to you.  Not so much to those not as dumb as Salon's
target audience.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate Salon.  :-)

--
You know, if you were really going to starve, you'd be
justified in writing proprietary software. -- R M Stallman