[Homeroast] I did it.

Steve Scigliano sciggy at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:01:13 CST 2010

Hi Phil,

I have been using the Gene Café for over two years and understand what you
mean
about missing first crack. One visual clue that I use is to watch for the
parchment flying off
the beans; I then put my ear close to the exhaust and listen to the cracks.
I have also learned
on my particular machine that first crack lasts approximately 2 minutes from
start to end
for 230g of beans. If you do as I do and set the temperature to 475 degrees,
a good visual
clue that first crack is complete is that the temperature begins
to rise (it stays more or less constant during first crack at between 450
and 460)

Good luck and enjoy

Steve