[Homeroast] Roast not done?

Demian Ebert coffehound at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:23:35 CST 2010

So all this talk about fancy roasting patterns and preheat. Nobodys
mentioned the possibility that the roast is fine but it is over
extraction in the brewing method that is creating the bitter result.
Details ewere thin other than the comment about roasting for drip. Try
cleaning you brewing equipment, switch to another method with good
water temperature control (french press) and try a sample (coarse
grind, but no more than 3-4 min extraction). Even if you don't like FP
coffee it should tell you if the bitter is coming from the brew method
or the roast. Once you know that you can delve into other details.

Demian

On 2/10/10, Ira <ira at extrasensory.com> wrote:
> At 07:44 AM 2/10/2010, you wrote:
>>Before the fix I fiddled with preheat and it was a waste of time,
>>and ineffective.
>
> Well, before I did the fix it could barely roast coffee, after the
> fix pre-heat makes a significant improvement in my roaster's ability
> to finish a 1lb roast so, just because it fixed your machine, doesn't
> mean it will fix all the machines.
>
> Ira

Sent from my mobile device