[Homeroast] Coffee Lovers keep on drinking...

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 05:47:28 CST 2010

"People drinking two or three cups were 40 percent less likely to have alcoholic cirrhosis. For people who drank four or more cups of coffee a day, there was an 80 percent reduction in risk. Researchers have no idea what it is in coffee that offers the benefit."

I can't help but wonder how the alcohol variable was controlled in this study. Could it be that people who drink obnoxious amounts of coffee simply drink less alcohol and thus are less likely to develop cirrhosis? If so why? Could it be cultural? Perhaps the avid drinkers have found their vice in life and thus have no need for alcohol.

Another variable worth considering would be to consider the relationship between income and alcohol consumption and compare that with the relationship between income and coffee consumption. (Not that there is any, I am just trying to think of possible third factors, income is usually a good place to look because it determines a lot).

Were these issues addressed in the article?

Thanks for posting this- Brain Candy! Thinking about science and math is always fun!
--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com