[Homeroast] Cleaning

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:23:22 CST 2010

I called the Kid and asked her if they [Archivers] have the "free" wipes and
how much it costs them.

"Oh my God- probably just a generic Clorox or Lysol wipe. Never mind, how
cheap they are that way. Would you drink coffee processed by that machine?
Starbucks would get an express Shutdown order if they did that. Take it to
the bank, Pop- " - - - Sarah Owen

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Ryan M. Ward
<silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Perhaps you are technically correct, but his point is still valid in
> practice, either way we have to pay the price for the wipes when we buy
> our doughnuts, whether we actually use them or not- so in effect the
> marginal cost of taking and accumulating the wipes during a given store
> visit is zero relative to a similar visit in which we do not take the
> wipes.
> Further, I imagine that the wipes present a very minor impact on the
> store's P&L relative to all things considered.
>
> Now sure, the argument can be made that if we all started grabbing wipes
> every time we visited the store then that line item on the companies
> P&L statement would start to increase and we could probably expect
> to see store prices increase to compensate. I have two thoughts on this:
>

> 1) Given the swine flu epidemic/pandemic, I speculate without data that
> the number of wipes being used in stores has increased dramatically.
> Thus it seems plausible to suspect that this increased usage (which I
> speculate will be in large part temporary) has already been factored
> into the companies budget and is reflected in the price accordingly.
>
> 2) Regarding everybody grabbing wipes all at once: sure- this is true in
> theory but I do not think the roasting list has that great of an
> ability to move such economic indicators as sanitizing wipes (no
> offence). Since sanitizing wipes are not particularly a rare commodity, I
> see no reason to be concerned here.
>
> --
> Ryan M. Ward

> (Karmic Koala)
> http://www.ubuntu.com

> > Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:35:59 -0600
> > From: slinkster at gmail.com
> > To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> > Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Cleaning
> >
> > Robert Yoder wrote:
> > > Greetings, group,
> > >

> > > The sanitizing hand-wipes available at grocery-stores' front doors have
> many uses.   Best of all:  they're free to us!
> > Well, not really.  The cost of those wipes is factored into the profit
> > margin of the store, which means higher prices at the checkout counter.
> >
> > A package of WetWipes costs about a buck.  Or you could just keep a
> > bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol (75 cents) and an old washrag in your
> > glovebox.

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...