[Homeroast] Has anybody ever heard of / seen these coffeeroasters?

Ed Needham beans at homeroaster.com
Mon Feb 8 14:05:06 CST 2010

All of those roasters came from people like us looking for ways to drum
roast coffee with off the shelf products.  When their ideas failed, they
tacked on additional heating devices and made them at least nominally work
Joe Behm did the same thing with the Behmor, except he went to the drawing
board and designed a product from scratch to eliminate the albatross look.
Then he found an economical way to make a bunch of them using an overseas
manufacturer.
I have seen reviews of each of these machines and most have criticisms, but
most would probably make us happier than using a hot air popper.
Overpriced?  Yes.  Outrageously overpriced.
Get a quality rotisserie style countertop roaster for $60, a convection
feature might be nice, then start making it work.  Make a drum, have one
made, or whatever, and do some experimenting.  It's fun, it's what drives me
to continue fiddling, and roasting, and coming up with new ideas.
Anyone here know who got homeroasters interested in using a grill to roast
coffee back in about 2000?
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com