[Homeroast] Roast not done?

Bonnie Polkinghorn bonnie.polkinghorn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:11:17 CST 2010

Hello Mark,

I'll let others chime in on what may make a bitter brew, from the people who
know more about the grind, ratio of grounds to water, and the temperature of
the water, etc.

However, I'll comment on the roasting part, and tell you what I like to do.

I time from the beginning of first crack to the end of the roast.   I have a
hard time figuring out exactly when 1C ends, but I definitely can tell when
it begins.

I know all the roasters are different, but for 8 ounces of greens, I go for
3.5 - 4 minutes after start of 1C.  For 12 ounces, I go about 5 minutes.  I
roast on P2, so I do not have experience with P1 or P3.

Since you roast on P1, you should be able to do a practice roast and time
the start of 1C, the duration of 1C,and the start of 2C.  Then, you will
have a better idea of the time between 1C and 2C on your roaster, and you
will be able to estimate when to end a desired C+ roast or FC roast.

Also, your visible signs, of still having chaff in the crevice and your
finish are OK for C+ and FC, and not having the chaff, and having a smooth
brown finish are more FC+, so maybe you are roasting where you want to
roast, but the bitterness may be coming from the brewing method.

Have a great day,
Bonnie