[Homeroast] costa rica coffee tour

Stephen Carey stephenc at his.com
Mon Feb 8 01:41:19 CST 2010

Like most things in Costa Rica - or anywhere
else, actually - much of it depends on your
guide.  I live down there about 3 months out of
the year, broken up, not all at once.  And, on
every tour we have found that by asking around -
from taxi drivers to other tourists, it is
possible to get a great guide who will have
"privileges to do the tour.  Some can wiz you in
and out and you may think you saw nothing - which
can be the actual truth, or, you can go with a
guide who really knows his stuff (or her
stuff).  It is like taking a tour of the rain
forest.  The best guides we have found are
actually biologists or other life science degreed people.

For coffee, our first tour, and probably one of
the better is just as Phil said: Café Britt http://www.cafebritt.com/

Not only is the tour worth the time, but it keeps
you in San Jose a bit longer and there is so much
to see in that city.  Many of us, and I totally
get this, want to get to our destination, whether
it be friends or relatives, or a beach or inland
camp.  But, when we travel there, we leave at
least one, but usually two days to see even more
of San Jose.  It is a 25 minutes flight from our
home in Manuel Antonio, but a 3 hour drive -
which is incredible - for that, hire a driver who
knows the way and can give you a tour.  The time
speeds by.  And, should you be in a faster mood,
the new toll road should be open soon.

Good luck and enjoy.

Stephen